Saturday 19 September 2020

French Line Lancers

Line lancers or light horse lancers are, a bit like the horse chasseurs, a type of cavalry that was a major element Napoleon's armies that remains criminally underrepresented. Since they don't seem to be as iconic as the cuirassiers or hussars, they sadly have much less coverage in sets. I can hardly think why, as I find them both iconic and interesting.


Thankfully, Waterloo 1815 produce an excellent set for them, which is what I've used here (Set 054). I was very happy with Waterloo's British Heavy Dragoons, and I would say this set matched the high expectations the first one gave me. The models are well sculpted and the poses are dynamic, interesting and natural.




I do have one criticism of the set, and it is that command figures make up half of all the models, with only six troopers in total. Given that I'm wanting to field them in a unit of twelve this becomes a little awkward, as I have to have two buglers, two officers and two standard bearers in one unit. I think my longer-term solution to this will be to pick up HaT's French Lancers, where all the figures are troopers, and combine them with these figures to get two units. For now though, I think the quality of the miniatures themselves makes up for the overabundance of command figures.

Cheers!

2 comments: