Sunday 5 February 2023

French 20th and 25th Dragoons

While cuirassiers are certainly the most iconic French heavy cavalry, during the Peninsular War it was the dragoon regiments that shouldered the bulk of that role. I've had six bases of dragoons in yellow and orange facings for many years now, since I was quite young. They were given to me by my dad, who was the also the one who painted them. 

These little units of three bases each, though well painted, were too small for the regimental scale I want for my cavalry units. So I've added three more bases to each, with the figures coming from Italeri's French Dragoons set.

The first of these two units has orange facings. Orange was worn by the 25th-30th regiments, with the 26th and 29th both having green collars. The 27th and 30th also had green cuffs, but since these figures are modelled wearing their long gloves that feature isn't terribly relevant to me.


The 25th is in my list for the Battle of Salamanca, one of the two large battles I'm aiming to model my collection around. This unit is also likely to stand in for their green collared cousins, the 26th, who were at Talavera. Neither Talavera or Salamanca feature more than one "orange regiment", so I can hardly justify doing two units just to have their collars be different colours! This is especially true considering that Talavera features six different dragoon regiments, so there will be plenty more to do either way.


The elite company figures for both units were painted by my dad. They are from HaT's French Horse Grenadiers set.


The 20th Dragoon Regiment was technically present at Talavera, being part of the 2nd Cavalry Division in the Reserve. But from what I understand they were not engaged in the battle itself and are not in my list for Salamanca either. However, the regiment did serve during the Peninsular War and I am not above swapping the 1st regiment out for the 20th.
















At the beginning of this year I took some time to assess exactly what I wanted to do with my Napoleonic collection. I may have to make a post at some point going into the specifics, but for now suffice to say that I've worked up a list of all the units I want to complete in the long term. With that list in mind, I probably won't be coming back to the French cavalry arm again for a while. Turns out a proper army needs a lot of infantry; who'd have thought, eh?

There is one other unit of cavalry that will need a post written for them, but after that it should be all foot sloggers for me for the foreseeable future. That and the occasional cannon and command base. The last month or so has actually been very busy for me in terms of figures painted (5 units so far, with another 3 or 4 in the pipeline!). Those should all wander their way onto the blog at some point, sooner rather than later I hope.

That's all for now though.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Nicely done iconic cavalry 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, very true; no French line-up is complete without some dragoons.

      Delete
  2. Marvellous. The Hat gren. à cheval make for excellent élite company figures too. I can't get enough of those Italeri dragoons and fortunately there are 30-odd regiments to choose from/produce!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete